RSS
Welcome to my film critic's blog! A lifetime of loving movies has enabled me to do this. Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The heat is on: Summer flick round-up part II

Star Trek

Verdict: Quite possibly the movie of the summer! An awesome spectacle!

I have been a 'Star Trek' fan of old. I like to think of myself as that in-between fan - not quite costumes and conventions but very mindful and respectful of the pop culture phenomenon that Star Trek has been and always will be. 

There is only one Star Trek: TOS (the original series) though I preferred NXG (the next generation) to a large extent. The big screen NXG films were disappointing to say the least. So how can this franchise be rebooted without disregarding all that came before? A time travel ret-con is the answer. As per the story, this is an alternate timeline that tells the stories of the iconic characters - Kirk, Spock and their crew - and how they came together.

There is only one Shatner, Nimoy and the rest. Can it be made to work then? JJ Abrams figured it out along with writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Keep the essence of the characters the same and play around with the universe. And it heralds an epic result. All of the casting is spot on - Chris Pine as Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Spock give stand-out performances. The action set pieces are imaginative and beautiful to watch. The humour and pathos work.

All in all, I have come to love 'Star Trek' again just as I was moving towards the jaded end of the spectrum. Well done, the team behind 'Star Trek XI'.

0 comments: